The origins of tobacco processing in Toulouse go back to 1674. Seeds were first grown in the South-West of France during the 17 th century. King Louis XIV was soon after the first to monopolize its distribution and sales under the state. In 1791, the French Revolutionaries abolished the monopoly, only for it to be reinstated by Napoleon in 1810. The manufacturing in Toulouse moved to the Quai de la Daurade (today’s Ecole des Beaux-Arts), and was then expanded to the Bazacle.